Top Ten Authors I’ve Read The Most Books From

toptentuesday2

Hellllllo readers, it’s Tuesday which is okay, but how the hell is it August? When did that stealthily happen and how have we got so close to Christmas that you can almost hear the festive songs playing. (Okay, maybe not so close.) It is however August, but to put off that disturbing fact I have another Top Ten Tuesday post for you. Today’s topic is authors you’ve read the most books from which has made me think a little. However, I’ve collated some of my most read authors so read on and be merry that it’s bloody August.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Not surprises here. His books were a bookish solace for me as a young reader and I devoured any I could get my hands on.

complete-sherlock-holmes

Jaqueline Wilson: Another non-surprising entry here. I have read so many of this authors books it is difficult to count, but I know it must be over twenty books.

bed

J.K. Rowling: I adore the writing of this author and will probably continue to read anything that she publishes because I think it’s curious to see where her writing will go next? From Harry Potter to The Casual Vacancy I hope she never stops writing.

Prisonercover

Dorothy Koomson: My slight obsession with author came through my reading ‘My Best Friend’s Girl,’ which lead to me reading one of my favourite books of all time ‘The Chocolate Run,’ and from there the interest has become a mild fascination.

runchoc

George Orwell: I don’t tend to read so many books from the same author because I’m always looking for new authors to discover but in the last year I’ve read three: 1984, Down and Out in Paris and in London and Animal Farm. I plan to read The Road to Wigan Pier next. *eee*

download (2)

Roald Dahl: I’m not sure I could write this list without this momentous author featuring. Bar from ‘The Witches’ I adored all of these books as both a young child and as an adult. They are just, brilliant.

RoaldDahlTheWitches

Beatrix Potter: These all seem to be becoming children’s book authors because I think as a child you become fixated with a certain author. I remember having an empty (clean) ice-cream container full of books by Beatrix Potter which I read extensively.

Tess Gerritsen: My Dad introduced me to these terrifying books and unfortunately I haven’t read any for a number of years but several utterly petrified me. However I have read maybe half a dozen of her books over the years and some are truly terrifying.

isto

Dee Williams: Maybe my most loved historical fiction author, William’s books were a pivotal point in my reading life. I adored her tales of the war, and what happened to the people back home. I thought the covers were so old-fashioned and yet voguish in a way. These books shaped my favouritism of historical fiction.

51tWCZORBDL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_

Finally, Roger Hargreaves: Oh those Mr Men and Little Miss Books. Those were the days.

I think if I were to have ignored children’s novels the list would have very different, but as children I think we gravitate to the same authors because we know we find them pretty great whilst as more mature readers we’re happy to read books that might not be our cup-of-tea just to test out new things. Either way imma happy with this glorious list.

1. August 11, 2015 / 12:50 pm

I love how diverse this list is and it’s something that’s true about children’s authors, although something I hadn’t realised. I think there’s something about the shortness of children’s books too, so each is like a little taste. I tend not to read many books by the same author because they can be a bit samey and then you can be stuck with them for a long time.

2. August 11, 2015 / 1:44 pm

Roald Dahl and George Orwell would be in my list, too. As would Patricia Highsmith, Stephen King and Dic Francis.

3. August 11, 2015 / 4:59 pm

Jacqueline Wilson! One of the books from my childhood that I remember the best was written by her, The Suitcase Kid. 🙂

• August 12, 2015 / 2:29 pm

I LOVED THE SUITCASE KID, I even had my own Sylvanian Family rabbit who I used to carry around 🙂

4. August 11, 2015 / 6:29 pm

Oh, gosh I was such a hardcore fan of Jacqueline Wilson too when I was in primary school! She made it to my list too. And, of course, J.K. Rowling has been on most list I’ve seen. She’s such a queen. I love your list <3

Nattie @ Book Rambles – here's my Top Ten

• August 12, 2015 / 9:19 am

Me too! I dread to think how many I’ve actually read! I went onto Wiki and couldn’t believe how many books she’s written. I was at home home recently and was trying to secretly borrow something from my sister’s rooms and was so tempted to take a couple of our JW books with me because I so want to read them again but I resisted. I remember my mum trying to wean me off them because I wouldn’t read anything else. Great list by the way!

• August 12, 2015 / 8:23 pm

I’ve been getting the urge to re-read those too! Best Friends was the first book I’ve ever read by her and I really really REALLY want to reread that C: I remember our librarian specifically telling our year group we need to read something other than jW xD

5. Hazel
    August 11, 2015 / 6:34 pm

I’ve never read any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books – I really need to read some of those since I love the BBC TV show.

• August 12, 2015 / 9:07 am

I would really recommend reading any of the Sherlock Holmes stories! I read them so many years ago I’m hoping to sit down and read them all over again, but I want to wait until I can’t remember how the mysteries end. They really were a pivotal moment in my childhood when I thought books are just, awesome! Thank you for commenting 🙂 xx

6. August 11, 2015 / 7:41 pm

Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors. Excellent list. 🙂

• August 11, 2015 / 7:52 pm

Thank you 🙂 RD is just perfection 🙂 favourite book?

• August 11, 2015 / 7:54 pm

I forget the exact title, I think it is called The Boy, but it was kind of an autobiography but his style, lol

• August 12, 2015 / 8:59 am

Ah yes I remember! I read that one more recently than the others because I think it’s for an older reader compared to the others. I remember reading that one myself.
          I think my favourite would have to be, The BFG 🙂

• August 12, 2015 / 9:06 am

I think as a child I became obsessed with an author for a little while, then found another to get a little obsessed with and that just continued. Now I read a lot more diversely! I would suggest getting a copy of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It’s the first collection of short stories originally published separately in the magazine The Strand I believe but then they were published all together 🙂 “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle” is my favourite I think, but you can buy the collection of stories really cheap from Amazon 🙂

• August 13, 2015 / 12:21 am

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely check it out!

7. August 12, 2015 / 7:09 am

It’s great that you value children’s authors so much. At an impressionable age, a good one really has impact. Among my list: Agatha Christie, Enid Blyton, Minette Walters, Harlan Coben, GRR Martin. X

• August 12, 2015 / 8:57 am

Even now I love it when I get review requests from authors of children’s books because I think they are so important for kick starting that love of reading 🙂
      I completely forgot about Enid Blyton. I also read a hell of a lot of Millie Mollie Mandy books much to my parents dislike.

8. August 12, 2015 / 8:54 am

Great classics and some of my favorite books form my younger years. These days I read mostly fantasy, tho. Sherlock Holmes is such a timeless masterpiece!

• August 12, 2015 / 8:56 am

I’ve read so many of these posts and they all seem to focus on childhood books but then I guess with HP, Wilson and series like ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events,’ there were so many books written by those authors that parents just kept getting hold of them knowing their children would like them. Now I try to read more diversely but you are right, Sherlock is a classic.