Top Ten All Time Favorite Authors

Afternoon readers, a Top Ten Tuesday post for you today. I love these types of post but today’s seems unfairly difficult. Top Ten all time favourite authors? Due to my recent discovery and utter love for YA fiction I’ve decided to cheat a little and base this only on young adult authors to help myself a little. For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & all the information on how to participate, click here! As always any comments or additions or contradictions to my list pop them in the comments box below.
toptentuesday2
In no particular order:
1. Morgan Matson: When I first started reading YA fiction this author and her book Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour really made me sit up and start thinking to myself YA fiction could be for me. I currently have a copy of Second Chance Summer and Since You’ve Been Gone sitting in my Amazon basket that I need to get my hands on and get them up and reviewed.

download (9)

2. Rainbow Rowell:  I bought Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell because I saw it was doing the rounds on the book blogging circuit and I thought that because of all the rave reviews I needed to get a copy. I bought it and loved it and it’s made me want to read more of her books. Eleanor & Park recently made it to my TBR Spring Reads so I need to get that read soon.

download (8)

3. Stephen Chbosky: I’m not sure whether this counts but I’m going to pop it in either way. I loved reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and it definitely helped to change my opinion towards YA fiction as a genre. His writing is both fluid and wonderfully naive, a brilliant author and a great read

the-perks-of-being-a-wallflower

4. Marcus Zusak: This author is one that would make the list YA or not because despite never wanting to put my favourite books into a concise list I’m sure The Book Thief will be a feature for a long time into the future. It’s a stunning book that I think everyone should read and take a ponder over. It’s just a knock-out.

5. John Green: Maybe a conventional choice but since reading TFIOS I know I need to read more from this truly talented author. Due to my very recent forage in YA fiction I have only read this one book from him but Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns are both stashed on my TBR

download (10)

6. J K Rowling: Another one that is a little obvious but this wonderful author would be included either way. Rowling’s books have made a huge impact on my life as a reader and I continue to devour anything that she bring out and will continue to way into the future.

7. Malorie Blackman: These books as a younger reader fuelled my love of reading and I still go back and delve into some of her books today. When I went to London to search for book benches I was delighted to find the one dedicated to the series Noughts and Crosses.

noughts___crosses

9. Roald Dahl: These are becoming really stereotypical but it’s my list so yep. Roald Dahl has been a large part of my reading adventure and his books still have been in stitches. A wonderful wonderful author.

10. K E Coles: A little addition from me is the author Karen who I discovered a little while ago. I thought her books were so exciting and different and the added genre mix of the religious cult had me on the edge of my seat. Brilliant author you should all check out.

So there we go, ten of my top ten YA authors. Excuse my sterotypical and obvious choices but the classics are the best aren’t they. I want to read more YA fiction so if you have any to add or recommend pop them below.

24 Comments

1. April 21, 2015 / 2:22 pm

Hi Lizzie, nice post! I wonder what the definition of YA fiction is exactly. Do the main characters have to be teens? What do you think?

• April 22, 2015 / 9:09 am

I’ve always thought it was because it was aimed at a younger audience, say 16- 25? But I don’t know because I think they can be enjoyed by all. I’ve never though into it before, but saying that I think all the main characters of the ones I’ve picked are teens so maybe that is it? oooo I don’t know now!! what do you think?

• April 22, 2015 / 3:15 pm

Hey, Lizzie! Thanks for answering my question. Yeah, I checked it out a bit and your definition stacks up against the wikipedia definition of YA fiction. I read an article that says there are basically three genres for that age bracket.
        “teen” fiction: the article says Harry Potter novels (probably meaning younger teens?)
        YA: for 14+ audience
        NA: “New adult” for the next step up from YA, for more college-age readers and characters
        I’ve always seen or read YA novels that feature teen main characters, so I guess that do that ’cause teens are the target audience.
        It’s interesting anyway. But write what you love and the audience will follow – in my opinion. 😉

2. April 21, 2015 / 3:49 pm

Wonderful! Morgan Matson sounds interesting. I’ll check the book out sometime 🙂

• April 22, 2015 / 9:09 am

I would really recommend. I really enjoyed the book and thought it was exciting because it used illustrations and pictures of receipts to add to the story. It was a lovely little read

• April 22, 2015 / 9:25 am

I remember reading her books when I was in secondary school and telling everyone they really needed to read them! I would definitely recommend them! I love your list btw! Stieg Larsson is a wonderful choice. I’m so indecisive so I chickened out and just did YA authors!

3. April 21, 2015 / 4:43 pm

I really wanted to include Stephen Chbosky too because Perks is my all-time favorite book, but I stuck to authors I’ve read several books from. I love that book though. I need more from him!
    TTT!

• April 22, 2015 / 9:22 am

Brilliant list! Ian Rankin is a great choice. Also just want to say love your blog! Thank you for commenting have found a new blog to follow! 🙂 xx

4. April 21, 2015 / 4:49 pm

I’ve been a bit confused about what makes a book YA as well. Is it the writing that’s geared more toward a younger crowd or the fact that it actually involves characters in that age group?

• April 22, 2015 / 9:20 am

For me I think it’s geared towards a younger audience but you’ve all got me thinking now because all of the books that I have picked have main characters that are teens. Hmmm.. what do you think?

5. April 21, 2015 / 5:24 pm

I think out of all the authors you named on your list, only one of them would appear on mine if I made such a list (J.K. Rowling). Then again, I don’t read a lot of YA fiction either.

• April 22, 2015 / 9:12 am

I think if I was to write the list with non YA authors I think she and Marcus Zusak would be the only ones to appear. But I couldn’t narrow down the rest so I stuck to this!! xx thank you for the comment though!

6. April 21, 2015 / 8:27 pm

Great list! YA is totally the best 😉

7. April 21, 2015 / 10:49 pm

You and I have very similar tastes! There were only a couple authors I didn’t recognize, and the ones I did I loved their books!

8. April 22, 2015 / 1:01 am

Love this list. Have read about half the authors on it and they are fabulous. Paper Towns was such a good read!

9. April 22, 2015 / 5:08 am

It’s what I consider classic YA fiction, but The Giver by Lois Lowry might tickle your fancy if you like dystopian concepts

• April 22, 2015 / 9:26 am

Oh I love a good dystopian concept. Sounds brilliant, will have to add it to the tbr list!

10. April 23, 2015 / 12:56 pm

Reblogged this on Mesmeris and commented:
    So chuffed to be included in this list :))

11. April 29, 2015 / 10:35 pm

Fab list, I haven’t read The Book Thief yet, but so want to. Of course Roald Dahl has to be on the list too.

• May 2, 2015 / 9:11 am

Yes do it! It’s such a good book! I really would recommend 🙂 he does really doesnt he 🙂 xx