Thoughtful Thursdays…

20140619-141750-51470636.jpg

Afternoon little bloggers! I am currently in the middle of new blogging opportunities but, I thought I would start something new and give myself even more things to do! Every so often I ask you lovely followers a question about books; reading, authors, genres, etc. However, instead of randomly of posting these, I thought I would start a new Thoughtful Thursday Question Time!

So ‘Thoughtful Thursday’s question this week is… ‘What is mostly likely to stop you from reading a book? A bad plot, perhaps the grammar is so infuriatingly bad it is starting to get on your nerves? Or perhaps you are a book warrior and refuse to give up on a book no matter what?

Let me know! πŸ™‚ <3

ttphoto

34 Comments

1. June 19, 2014 / 1:55 pm

I’ve only ever given up on one book. It was The Reivers by Faulkner. It was just so boring. I remembering thinking it sounded boring when I read the description but I thought I’d give it a try. It just felt like words that didn’t go anywhere. No emotion. No one I cared learning more about. It was just boring. I read half then gave it up. I’ve wanted to go back and finish it, but that was three years ago and I don’t think it will happen anytime soon.

• June 19, 2014 / 3:00 pm

The one book I really remember giving up on was ‘Great Expectations,’ I don’t know why but it just didn’t get to me. Saying that I often have a problem with books I’ve been made to read; I hated Great Gatsby when I had to read it at school, and now I love it; maybe I’ll go back and try again!

2. June 19, 2014 / 2:05 pm

Typically a book grabs more or it doesn’t. If it grabs me I read it through no matter what. If it doesn’t I will still try to make it through. Often, though, if there is a disruption for a few days I can’t get back into the book. Usually I can’t tell you exactly why I can’t get into it. It might be writing style or the subject does nothing for me. Perhaps it just seems shallow with no substance and yet not fun enough for it to be mind candy. Sometimes I’ll pick it back up after a few days and just say to myself, “OK, more drudgery.” I then put it down and find something new.

• June 19, 2014 / 2:57 pm

I’m definitely the same, if there’s something pulling me through, even though other parts are making me want to stop I’ll keep going. I often try to finish book no matter what if I’m quite a way through it…but at times I really have given up!

3. June 19, 2014 / 2:10 pm

what makes me give up on a book are two things – boredom, and characters I can not relate to. If you have not gotten my interest in the first chapter, then it’s over. There are so many books out there that grab you from the start, and that is what I am looking for when I read for entertainment (same goes for movies and shows). Now you can have the best premise, but your characters are not well developed, don’t fit with the story or are annoying, then I am done as well. I review books, so when I do read for entertainment everything has to be right.

• June 19, 2014 / 2:40 pm

Yup, came here to say this but now I just have to agree! One thing I’ll add, grammar I don’t notice all that much, but if I do notice that the grammar is bad then it has to be really bad, so I’d stop at that too.

• June 19, 2014 / 2:58 pm

Grammar’s a big one for me..if it’s starting to get sloppy, like I’m noticing it often, then it really upsets me. I read a book recently that had lots of random words the started with capital letters in the middle of sentences and I think it wa trying to put emphasis on the words, but it was getting to be every paragraph for me I thought,,,that’s not great!

• June 19, 2014 / 3:06 pm

Oh wow… yeah, that would get super annoying for sure. I once knew a guy that when he chatted in IM, he would type all of his words like so: HeLlO, hOw ArE YoU…. and the crazy thing is he typed pretty fast, lol.

• June 19, 2014 / 4:29 pm

oh goodness really! why bother haha πŸ˜›

• June 19, 2014 / 2:56 pm

I get you on a number of those things; I’m a bit of a book warrior so I continue to put myself through a book even if it’s not an instant grabber! I’m reading a book at the moment and I love the main character, although not developed enough for my liking…but the book keeps reading a bit like a non-fiction book, there’s so many facts and information it’s starting to do my nut in! It’s never happened before so I’m going to finish it but ergh! haha

4. June 19, 2014 / 3:15 pm

I used to pride myself on being, as you put it, a “book warrior.” The older I get, the more willing I am to just stop reading a book that doesn’t engage me by about page 100. I can love the characters or hate them, but if I don’t much care about them or about the story or about the language by that point, I figure there are literally millions of better books I could be reading. Last gave up on Cloud Atlas and would have given up on The Red House if it hadn’t been for Book Club.

• June 19, 2014 / 4:30 pm

See I think I got 100 pages into my most recent book, and although I’m finding it tough I just need to know how it ends for the main character πŸ™‚

• June 19, 2014 / 4:47 pm

Then you care enough about the story to continue. I still think I only give up on 1 out of every 40-50 books. I try to choose well.

5. June 19, 2014 / 3:34 pm

Like most everyone else, boredom is one of the biggest factors. But I learned in middle school to give a book a chance until page 30. If I find myself past page 30 or want to continue when I reach page 30, then I commit and read through to the end. I think the only book I remember I stopped reading was The Picture of Dorian Gray a couple years ago. I couldn’t stay focused at all.

• June 19, 2014 / 4:29 pm

hmmm 30 pages, that sounds like a good number to read to get a good idea of a book definitely πŸ™‚

• June 26, 2014 / 4:45 pm

I (try to) give a book at least three chapters, anywhere from about 30 to 70 pages, depending. But yes, usually within 30 pages it’s pretty clear whether or not the book will be enjoyable!

• June 28, 2014 / 4:26 pm

hmm I think within three chapters you’re going to have an idea whether you’re going to enjoy the book as a whole! thanks for commenting!

6. June 19, 2014 / 4:12 pm

I get bored of books when they have random plot changes or when the characters are really unlikable

7. June 19, 2014 / 4:52 pm

Bad grammar really puts me off! More than anything it has to have engaging, characters. Otherwise I dose off!

8. June 19, 2014 / 5:56 pm

I tend to push through to the end hoping that the book will miraculously get better. There have been a few books that I have stopped reading just because I couldn’t get into the plot, but they are books that I want to go back and try reading again before I finally write them off for good!

9. June 19, 2014 / 6:25 pm

What keeps me most from finishing a book is when some overwhelming thought process begins right when I’m in the middle of a great plot or moment in the book. A thought process that distracts me and I’m lost in my own imagination. This is one of those really enjoyable reasons I have to stop reading and maybe write something of my own, a moment of good and distracting inspiration.

10. June 19, 2014 / 11:25 pm

To stop reading? ClichΓ©s. (Dan Brown!). slow. Conventional characters… I used to be a book warrior (like that!) Now, time’s running out. Book is bad? I drop it. (Never in the garbage can though some deserve it. That’s a no-no!) Have a nice week-end!
    Brian

11. June 20, 2014 / 2:27 am

Has to be a character I can really get behind and cheer for, with a seemingly insurmountable task ahead. That always does it for me

12. June 20, 2014 / 4:35 am

I have never completely given up on a book. There have been many times when I have been so completely bored or frustrated by a book I cannot continue, but I always come back eventually. I remember the first time I read Eragon by Christopher Paolini I couldn’t seem to get into it. A few years later I picked it up again and read all four books almost nonstop and wished for more.

Not every time I set a book aside for a while do I turn out to love it, but I have found that sometimes a little distance makes the story better.

13. June 20, 2014 / 7:55 am

lizzybalwin, i’m those people who are known specials, from specializing.So i read books on where i’m going as in, in life.Another thing ,i’m an absorber i drink from a book so i better like it first. Thirdly when i like a book i will read it until i finish it,meaning my sole purpose would be to read that book.Hope i have answered your question;-)

14. gabrielleechristian
    June 20, 2014 / 9:18 am

If a book doesn’t have much dialogue or it has very long propositions, like Faulkner, I would stop, even if I am a curious person. ClichΓ©s are ok, most of the books have them, compared to a hard style.

15. June 21, 2014 / 1:32 am

I’m definitely a book warrior, but if I find the book is more challenging (or longer) than I can handle, I put it down to resume it later. As such, I have to resume The Brothers Karamazov at some point … other than that, I will drop a romance novel which is too graphic or too trite. But I feel that every book has some value, so finishing each one I start is important.

16. June 22, 2014 / 1:12 am

I rarely find a fiction book that I don’t complete (Okay, I can recall one, Atlas Shrugged). But non-fiction, whoo-boy. The titles look good, topically interesting and I dive in. If I get lost or can’t connect in some way, it goes unfinished. Now there have been unfinished books that I have revisited and finished later – so perhaps it isn’t the book that lacks, but my mental state at the time.

The only time I notice grammar is if it interrupts the reading flow, makes me have to reword the sentence in my head to sound right. I just giggle when I find spelling errors in hard copy books πŸ™‚

Great question!

17. June 22, 2014 / 4:29 pm

If I give up on a book it’s usually because of a boring plot or badly developed characters, but sometimes I just find a book (usually one everyone else loves!) that I just can’t get into…. πŸ™‚

18. June 25, 2014 / 10:25 pm

I tend to persevere (and sometimes wonder why I’ve bothered) but there’s been a few books I’ve given up on. Often it’s just that the characters that aren’t developed fully enough for me to care about.

19. June 26, 2014 / 4:42 pm

I gave up on Catch 22 about 200 hundred pages in. I kept thinking to myself, “I just don’t CARE what happens to ANY of these characters.” I also don’t enjoy “The Hunger Games” trilogy. The use of the first-person present tense narrative is poor, the style is choppy, and the world creation is severely lacking. Not worthy of the attention it’s received. Usually books are better than the films based on them, but the opposite is true with The Hunger Games: the movies are far superior to the books, because the movies don’t trip over the whole first-person storytelling or the lack of style; instead they focus only on the plot, and the plot is pretty good. So, I won’t read a book if the plot is vague or non-existent, but even if it’s there, I might not read it if they style or point of view is odd or lacking.

Side note: I noticed a respondent say she didn’t finish Atlas Shrugged. Given that it’s longer than War and Peace, I can understand how the length only could deter someone. However, THAT book is phenomenal and I’ve read it several times. Plot, character, style, grammar, theme, cohesiveness and any other way to judge writing that I can think of are as perfect as I’ve ever found them in Atlas Shrugged.

Lizzy, your questions about books get me all fired up, I love it! And I love reading the other responses too!

• June 28, 2014 / 4:32 pm

Ahh catch 22, I think it’s such a shame when you can’t care for the characters. I read a book and the characters were universally unlikeable it was so odd. I haven’t read the hunger games trilogy, it was never something that really intrigued me if I’m honest. If I’ve seen the film of something I tend not to read the book, but if I really want to read the book I’ll read it before seeing the film so looks like I got it the right way round with this film/book combo πŸ™‚ I haven’t heard of Atlas Shrugged I will have to look it up!

So glad you enjoy the questions and thank you for the awesome comment! πŸ˜€ <3

20. June 29, 2014 / 1:42 am

oh Bad plot definitely. Or if the characters are completely flat with no life whatsoever.